Thursday, January 23, 2014

Paint and panel

Hours 48
Total Hours 683

I removed the canopy frame and roll bar to get it painted before I silkafex the canopy on. I also want to paint the panel and interior at this time. I pulled out the panel.
I primed the panel with sandable primer because of the scratches In the panel. I sanded it and repeated the process several times in my until it was smooth. I painted the panel Rustoleum smoke grey. Actually I painted it twice because the first time did not turn out good so I had to sand it down and start over. It finally came out good. After wet sanding the glare off of the panel, I clear coated a couple of times and wet sanded again. The waterslide labels needs a very smooth surface to look good. I designed my labels in MS word and printed them on decal paper I ordered over the internet.  I then, through a lot of trial and error, labeld the panel and let it dry overnight. The next day after the labels dried, they looked pretty good but I wasnt satisfied. They had a sheen when the light hit them from a certain direction and I wanted a more painted on look. I took this pic with the light just right, and you can see what I'm talking about.
I then did more research on the web and learned the plastic modeling people was using 
two chemicals called Micro Set and Micro Sol to make their labels look good. I ordered some 
and pulled all the labels off. After I recieved the chemicals, I started over. The Micro set really worked well! So well that I didnt need the Micro Sol. The Micro Sol tended to melt the label too much. The labels really looked painted on. Here is the panel re-installed.
I am really pleased.
I scuffed up the interior paint and washed the interior with soap and water. I primed the new parts, masked everything off, and then painted everything that will show after installing the seats and side panels. I used Rustolium Hammered Grey. I scuffed up the sliding canopy frame and roll bar and painted them with Rustoleum Hammered Black and then fitted the canopy some more.

I clamped the canopy  on the fram and marked where it needed to be trimmed. I trimmed it with a dremel tool and it worked well but the cuttings went everywhere! I had to
wear my welding goggles because, even with safety glasses, the particals would get I
in my eyelashes and get in my eyes when I blinked them! 
I scraped the sharp edges with a scraper made from an old hack saw blade and then sanded them to a smooth rounded finish. I ordered the Sikaflex, cleaner, and primer and will glue this canopy later.

No comments:

Post a Comment